Sunday, October 5, 2008

The birth of a memory

My value essay

I asked myself at the beginning of this assignment, what the word priceless actually meant. Dictionary.com of course gave me the same dry answer that I would hear from everyone else. So I started thinking. Does priceless mean worthless? Or so valuable that it simply could not be compared with any amount of money in the world. But then I posed the questions, could you put a price tag on a priceless moment? Of course, we have yet to establish this value system and it would be very complicated, because so many variables would be involved in determining the worth of something that doesn’t physically exist. But without knowing the worth of a priceless moment, how does one determine which is of higher value? Are they all worth the same?

It is April fools day, 1997 and the gods have decided that to play a little “trick” on us New Englanders. One of the worst snowstorms of the decade in Massachusetts took place that day. I ride with my cousin, aunt, and uncle to the Springfield hospital, which took a little over two hours for a usually 30 minute drive. We trudge through the snow and threw the hospital doors, by which time we are sopping wet and covered in slush. We take off our coats, check in at the round marble desk, and walk down to the waiting room outside the room where my mother is. She is having her c-section today. Meme and I wait until late that night, trying to entertain ourselves with the limited selection of Dr. Suess books and pamphlets on eating disorders. Finally the kind and tired looking nurse comes to tell us that my mother is fine, and out of surgery, and calls us in to see the baby. I run over to my mom, who is propped up on her hospital bed, with an IV coming out of her wrist. Molly, the new baby is in my mothers arms, wrapped in a blanket with a thin pink hat covering her small head. I crawl into the stiff hospital bed, and my mom puts Molly in my arms. She giggles and smiles up at me. I hold out my hand and she slowly wraps her delicate pink fingers around it. The moment of first seeing my little sister will always stay carved in my mind.

I walk into my grandfathers bedroom, and over to the robins egg blue wall where he has hung all of his pictures. We are in New York City, in his apartment with the rest of my family getting ready for my cousins wedding. I run my fingers along the carved wooden frames that hold the photographs of my Grandmother. My eyes scan past the pictures of her younger years, and to my grandparents wedding photograph. The frame is a thin dark wood, with gold accents around the edges. I had never met my grandmother before she died. Her name was also Betty. I try to imagine what she was like, but the photographs don't offer much help. I walk over to his dresser and see an old, pale colored jewelry box sitting on the top. I open the latch and see dozens of beautiful pearls, gold, bracelets necklaces; all I assumed belonged to my grandmother. It is lined with black velvet like material, and has three drawers, one of which is broken. I am especially fond of one of the bracelets. It is gold, with an old clasp and fits perfectly on my wrist. It has two monogrammed charms, also gold. One is square, and has her initials in the center. The other has her birth sign, a Virgo, and on the back, the date she ran her gold medal track race.
I see my grandfather in the doorway. I jump and close the jewelry box. My grandfather doesn’t mind that I was looking at her old things. He sits me down and says I could keep her bracelet if I would like. I tell him that I’d love to, and I thank him. Then, he starts to tell me about her. From when she came over to America, to when they got married. The bracelet is a reminder of that day, and helps me to keep the memory of my Grandmother.

My grandmothers gold bracelet and the memory of my sister’s birth are both valuable to me for similar and different reasons. Aside from the fact that one is an object, and the other a memory, they both represent people that are very important to me, the bracelet representing my Grandmother, and the memory of my sister being born, obviously representing my little sister. They also represent important and specific days of my life, because the day I got my bracelet is what I remember most about it, and my sister was born on a certain day when I was younger. My bracelet however helps me remember and connect someone I've never met, and the memory of the birth of my sister is when I first met someone that I would be living with.
Through the reading and commenting of the essays that have been written, I've concluded that actual physical objects are in turn, worthless. We all described a scene in which our item was used, and what we remember and describe is the memory of using or being with that object, not the object itself. One doesn't buy a new car so it will sit in their garage and "act" valuable, but to bring it on the road trip to California, or drive it to work everyday. Your expensive lacrosse stick is worth nothing without the memory of scoring the winning goal in the last game of the season, or carrying it to practice every week. It is not the item itself that we cherish, but rather the memories that it hold. They are a mere representation of what we truly value in life.

13 comments:

Colleen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

I think that Betty is a little confused about how you determine whether or not something is truly valuable. I think she does a good job in the first paragraph describing just how confused she is.
I think that the paragraph where Betty describes seeing her sister for the first time was really good. First of all, I think its pretty amazing that she could even remember something like that since she was three, but I could actually see her and her babysitter and family friend driving in the car through all the traffic and snow. And I could really see them walking into the hospital “sopping wet and covered in slush.”
I think that overall, Betty’s strong points are definitely word choice, and having good descriptions. She is very good at describing both scenes about her sister being born, and finding her grandmothers bracelet extremely well. She uses very good diction.
I think you should look at your spelling because I saw some mistakes that definitely distracted me from the rest of the piece. I would also try to expand on each topic because there really wasn’t that much to read about each item or moment. But overall you did a really good job.
I LOVE YOU BETTY!! - erin

Colleen said...

I think that in this essay Betty isn't quite sure what the word value means. She even says it in the first paragraph because value can mean so many different things to different people. But I think she did a good job of stating what she valued.

I thought that the part where she explains the day in the hospital was described most vivedly. I felt like i could picture the small baby in the mothers arms and the hospital room. Also about how the weather was outside.

I think that the biggest strength in the essay was the opening paragraph because I think she did a good job on questioning the true meaning of value. I got the point that she was possibly confused and wanted to know the deeper meaning.

The only peice of advice I have would be to make a difference from the two items. It seemed that maybe the way you explained the second one that they were actually both pricless moments or items. They both seemed priceless to me because most of the second one was explained as an event. But I don't think that it was even that bad of a problem and I still thought the essay was great either way!

Erin said...

oh hi Betty! i think that the toy car is your thing... but i'll definitley get a picture of hubbles and put it on there! lol..

love you moree<33

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hannah P said...

I agree that Betty seemed alittle confused about what value was and if you could put a price on something valuable. Although she seemed alittle cofused, I thought her word chioce was excellent. In her value essay, Betty is stating how her sister being born and her Grandmother's bracelet are two valuable things in her life.
I thought that Betty did a better job describing the birth of her sister than her Grandmother's bracelet. I liked the part "We trudge through the snow and threw the hospital doors, by which time we are sopping wet and covered in slush" was a great descriptive sentence and I could imagine this happening in my head.
I think the strongest part of the essay is the word choice and the introduction. I liked how she chose her words carefully and how they really tell the details more descriptively. I also liked how in the introduction she talked about if she went to dictionary.com how she would find a bleak description of value. I thought that brought good voice into her writing.
The only thing I would suggest would be to have a stronger conclusion and to describe the worth of the bracelet to the reader more. Also check for some spelling mistakes. Other than that I thought she had an excellent essay!!!!

Ninaenglish9 said...

The author seems to be saying that her bracelet and her sisters birthday are important to her. She seems to really value her family. She also seems to value things that are important to her family members. As well as things that represent her family.

I think the bracelet is the better of the two described. She described every little detail about the bracelet and why it was significant to her grandmother. She used interesting describing words. I really enjoyed reading about the bracelet.

There are many strengths to this essay but the main one would be organization. She has all the parts to this essay. It has a nice flow to it. Especially when signaling the end of a moment or item.

There aren’t many things that could improve this essay but there is one and that is grammar and spelling. It takes away from the essay when you have to figure out what it says. Especially when you have a nice flow it disrupts it.

Nicole x C said...

I also, looking at other peoples comments, think that betty seemed confused about the actual meaning of priceless. Although i think this, i also think she understood what it meant, and was just trying to make a point.

I think Betty did a rally good job describing the day she got her grandmothers braclet. The way she wrote everything was as delecate as the braclet itself. I really liked the part where she said "I walk over to his dresser and see an old, pale colored jewelery box sitting on the top." I think this is really descriptive.

I think bettys strength was her voice because she was really good at describing thinggs. Also, she was good at puting all of the details into the essay. "It is April fools day, 1997 and the gods have decided that to play a little “trick” on us New Englanders" That was a really good sentence and example of betty's voice.

The only advice i would give to betty is to proofread and seperate her paragraphs.

Katie said...

This is the second part of my comment.

After reading the essay, I have decided that one of the essays overall strengths is the way that she describes her object/experience. When reading about her sister's birth, I feel like I was actually there. the place where she described her grandmother's bracelet was very descriptive, too, with using specific and unique adjectives that fit with the object.
One thing that I would suggest to Betty is to reread some of her longer paragraphs and seperate them out into two or even three paragraphs. In the way that they are set up now, it kind of seems like some of the paragraphs are run-on. However, they all do stick to the same topic, but I think that reorganizng some of the thoughts in the essays into more defined paragraphs would benefit her.

Leona said...

I think that you are trying to show how much more valuable family is than items, though both are valuable, only family is priceless!

I think that the paragraph about your baby sister is the most vividly described. You used a lot of descriptive wods and I can really tell that you value that moment a lot.

I think your strentghs are good word usage, lots of detail, and length. You don't need to add any more description :)
I would suggest organizing your essay better. There aer some really longggg paragraphs that make it kind of confusing. But otherwise your essay is great.
PS SD!! :)

Ben said...

she ignore me too much. i dont like her too much anymore.

betty said...

who called it.

Ben said...

ok if you insist